A knowledgeable staff and a variety of finding aids are available to assist researchers and retrieve materials for study. Reference assistance is available for help in determining the materials appropriate for specific research projects. Telephone and mail and email inquiries are accepted:
Meriam Library, Special Collections,
California State University, Chico
400 West First Street
Chico, CA 95929-0295
Reference services are available Monday through Friday during regular office hours, by telephone, and via email.
Telephone or voicemail: (530) 898-6342
Our hours and services vary with the University schedule so please check with us when a planning a visit.
Reading Room Policies:
- All Special Collections materials must be used in the department Reading Room.
- An ID is required to view materials from the collection.
- The use of pens and ink is discouraged when using archival materials. Please use pencil only.
- We request that you register on the department sign in sheet.
- Call slips are available to be filled out to page materials from the collections.
- Depending on the nature of the materials, use may be restricted to a single box or folder(s) at a time.
- An ID is required to be held while viewing collection materials.
Photography, Scanning, and Photocopying:
- The Special Collections Department provides photocopy and digitization services for a fee, but reserves the right to restrict reproduction of its material due to condition, size, or donor restrictions.
- Permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Department Head to publish or permanently display these reproductions.
- Patrons are responsible for observing all U.S. copyright regulations.
- The use of cameras to copy collection materials may be permitted, please check with department staff prior photographing.
- Patrons are required to comply with policies to protect archival material for use by future generations.
Food and Drink:
- All food and drinks are prohibited in the Special Collections Reading Room.
Duplication Services- NOT AVAILABLE
Due to unforeseen circumstances, we are not accepting requests for reproductions at this time. We are sorry for the inconvenience, you can still download the JPEGs from Chico Digital Collections for personal use.
The department provides photocopy and digital reproduction services for a fee, but reserves the right to restrict reproduction of its materials due to condition, size, or donor restrictions. Permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Department Head to publish or permanently display these reproductions. Patrons are responsible for observing all U.S. copyright regulations.
Services for Faculty include:
Special Collections staff are available for instruction or orientations. Please contact us to make arrangements for a class visit.
The Special Collections Department provides internship opportunities for students. We have had successful internship projects completed by students in Anthropology, Art, Geography, and History. Please contact us if you are interested in learning more about Special Collections internships.
Please contact us to discuss how our collections may be used in classroom instruction. Many of our collection materials are used as resources for classes in anthropology, art, communication design, English, geography, graphic design, history, museum studies, and photography. Let's talk and explore how Special Collections can help you too.