History of Meriam Library
A Fourth Floor
The fourth floor was completed in 1985.
The library was again expanded to its current size, and in 1981 dedicated Meriam Library after the family of Ted Meriam.
On a LARC
In 1975, the library was expanded and the name changed to Learning Activities Resource Center or LARC.
Chico State College Library
In 1959, Chico State College Library was built in what is presently the east side of Meriam Library.
A New Home
The library did not have a permanent home until 1933 when Trinity Hall was built; it was known only as the ‘Library.’
In 1927 the Normal School building burned down, destroying the library.
By 1900, the library had grown to 8,900 volumes with periodicals and special reference books. The library was open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, and books could be checked out for a week, more than one book could be checked out as long as it was not of the same subject.
Chico State Normal School
The library at Chico State Normal School began with 350 books, housed in the Normal School building in 1887. The stacks and reading area were all in one room.