Most library items are available for use within the library by anyone. Patrons who do not qualify as a courtesy borrower may purchase a nonaffiliated user (NAU) card for borrowing privileges.
An NAU card allows you to:
- Check out items, depending upon restrictions specific to each category of item. (You also need your DMV identification card)
An NAU Card does not allow you to:
- To use interlibrary services
- Use the student computing labs
- Get a campus e-mail account
- Remotely access restricted databases
- Place requests on items checked out to other patrons
How can I get an NAU Card?
To get an NAU Card, fill out an application at Circulation on the 1st floor.
Along with your application, you must:
- Be a minimum of 18 years old.
- Be a permanent resident in one of the following counties: Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Shasta, Siskiyou, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Yuba.
- Provide a valid California driver's license or DMV identification card indicating a permanent address within one of these counties.
- Provide Social Security number.
- Pay a $50.00 annual NAU Card fee.
NAU Card terms and conditions
- The NAU card is issued for a period of 1 year from date of purchase for a fee of $50.00.
- If library records indicate any outstanding debts due, these must be cleared before a card is issued or renewed.
- The card is nonrefundable unless the patron subsequently qualifies for borrowing privileges in some other manner. Refunds are prorated from the time of issuance or renewal of card to the date of refund request.
- The card is nontransferable.
- The cardholder's California driver's license or DMV identification card is required for identity verification when checking out items.
- Cardholders are responsible for all items circulated on their card and are obligated to pay applicable overdue fines and reimburse the library for lost and/or damaged items, including processing fees.
- Lost or stolen NAU cards must be reported immediately to Circulation. Items checked out on an NAU card that is not reported lost or stolen within 24 hours will be charged to the patron's account.